Sunday, June 18, 2006

Singing

I think one of the things I like most about living abroad is that you become an amateur anthropologist. You study people and you try to make guesses and assumptions so you can try to figure out what the hell is going on. So, in my studies here, I have figured out two key facts: Filipinos love cell phones and videoke. Now, I didn't say I was I was a good anthropologist, but that's what I've figured out. Everyone here has a cell phone, even if they're dirt poor (because you can buy time in 30 cent units, if you want to) and they use them all the time. On the jeepneys, during meetings, while talking to one another. It's neither uncommon nor rude to whip out your cell phone in the middle of a conversation and reply to a text while still talking. It's funny, people back home bitch about cell phone etiquette, but it seems like the solution is just for everyone to get a cell phone, then no one cares. Also, the videoke thing. There is a machine in every restaurant or bar, and most people have a microphone at home. In fact, singing in general is just huge here. People sing along to songs in public, anytime there's a public event or competition singing is usually involved. Most commercials and tv shows have singing. It's hilarious. It's actually so prevalent that not only do I now sing videoke, but I actually like it.

No comments: